Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Tina Fey

If you've ever talked to me for more than 3 minutes, you've probably heard me talk about how much I adore Tina Fey.  Not only did she write one of my favorite movies of all time - Mean Girls, but she created and stars in/writes one of my favorite TV shows - 30 Rock. I understand not everyone in the world feels this way but seriously, she's brilliant.  The interwebz told me it's her birthday today so...Happy Birthday Tina Fey!

In celebration of her big day, I'm going to talk about a few of my favorite (Tina Fey) things.

I cannot recommend her new book Bossypants highly enough.  Not only is it hilarious but the lady speaks some truth up in that book.
This book is full of hilarious stories throughout her life as well as insight into what it means to be a woman that's funny.  The book is an easy read and she includes some priceless photos as well.  There were some hilarious women that came before Tina Fey but I think she is the most successful funny lady ever - and yet she still comes across as grounded and humble in her writing and storytelling.  I'm going to stop now because I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed reading this book...but I'll move on to something else. :)

But do yourself a favor, and read the book.

Two weeks ago, Tina Fey hosted SNL.  The episode easily got two thumbs up from me.  The jokes landed right as opposed to this past week's episode with Ed Helms where nothing landed right.  Maya Rudolph was back and the two of them performed a hilarious opening.  Check it out here -



Also, this sketch was great - Love the Bedelia character



It is unfortunate that I can't find my favorite clip from my favorite episode of 30 Rock - the episode with Oprah in it, but this is a classic Liz Lemon moment so enjoy -



Listen, I know most people don't understand why I like Tina Fey so much (except for you Cat, I know you get me) and I'm guessing you fit into one of these categories: 1. You are a male that cannot possibly comprehend that a woman can be funny - To you I say, "Good day Sir...I SAID GOOD DAY." 2. You are a male that feels threatened by funny women because you yourself are not funny. 3. You are a female that is/has always been beautiful and you never had to develop a personality; or 4. You are a female who wasn't always beautiful but the personality you had to develop turned out kinda lame - to you I say, "You should meet up with category 2, y'all would make a great couple."

In closing -

Dear Tina Fey,

You are my favorite.  I hope you have a great birthday.  Can we grab lunch sometime and invite Amy Poehler too?

See you then,
Jules


PS. Another funny lady, Catherine Reitman, does weekly movie reviews and last week, at my suggestion, she reviewed Mean Girls.  Here is the clip and check out how I get a mention at 2:14!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally just bought Mean Girls and watched it the other night. It had been a while since I had seen it and I forgot just how freakin' hilarious it is. Tina Fey is a genius.